Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Friday the 13th: The Series Ep. 28 The Voodoo Mambo Review

The Voodoo Mambo originally aired on October 3, 1988. This was a very unsettling episode to me. I truly hated how normalized Voodoo was represented in this episode. I hated how Jack in the episode said that they had their way of fighting evil and the trio had theirs. It's just not true. There can't be more than one right way. There are WAY too many contradictions all around. As a Christian, watching Voodoo get praised/looked at as a legitimate way to fight evil, it really got under my skin. The cursed antique is a Voodoo mask. This mask takes away people's souls, which Voodoos believe is in their throat. I'll give the episode this, if what they said about Voodoo is true (they've gotten a lot of 'facts' wrong just to make it fit for an episode), then I learned a lot about Voodoo that I had never learned before. I learned a lot more about Voodoo from this episode than I did from The Serpent and the Rainbow. Personally, I would skip this episode. It's not poorly done, but I just don't like the message that is being represented.

No comments:

Post a Comment