Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Friday the 13th Uncut Review

Having uncut, unrated versions of the Friday films has always been a Friday the 13th fans dream. There are three officially released uncut versions of the films. The first one is for the iconic original film. This version has been widely available overseas for quite a while, however it wasn't released in America until February 3, 2009. There's not too many changes to note in this version. This version is only 10 seconds longer. Annie's death in the beginning is extended. We don't fade to white quite so quickly. There's an extra beat in the sex scene. Jack's death gets a whole new shot added in which showcases the great gore effects of Tom Savini brilliantly. Marci's death has a few more beats to it. Mrs. Voorhees death also has a few more moments in the film. The added gore affects work fine with the film. The film flows great with it's uncut version. However, the longer gore affects have made it more obvious where to spot the make up effects. This has greatly been enhanced by the blu-ray. It's much easier to tell that they're just effects. The magic gets a little lost with the uncut version on blu. Which version is the better cut? I'm in the minority on this I'm sure, but I prefer the theatrical cut. I like the shorter version of Jack's death, I think it has more impact with the shorter version. I like not dwelling too long on the deaths. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE the uncut version of the film and I'm stoked that of all the Paramount films, the original, my personal favorite is the one that has the uncut version available. Having said that, I think the theatrical cut flows better. It may just be a nostalgia thing for me, but I really think the theatrical cut is the more effective cut of the film. Only two more cuts to go! Next alternate cut: the unrated cut of Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment